Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Patriarchy - 2

Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the great and terrible day of the LORD comes. And he will turn the hearts of fathers to their children and the hearts of children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the land with a curse.
  - Malachi 4:5,6 [RSV]

This was the reading for morning prayer this past Sunday, the Solemnity of the birth of John the Baptist. The scriptural reference to fathers and their children caught my attention, coming just one week after Fathers' Day. One week, also, after my last post on Patriarchy, which I might synopsize as follows: The best indicator of whether or not a particular human society is civilized is to ask whether or not men know their children, and children know their father.

Uncritical adoption of egalitarian and feminist ideals is feminizing our culture, often preventing fathers from acting like fathers (like men), and then despising them for being irresponsible. The more radical feminists openly deride fatherhood as useless or obsolete. Thus we droop slowly into savagery.

Looks like it's high time for the promised Elijah to come and turn us from our collective stupor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can relate to you comment. Though, it is hard to lead when women are told they are a minority in this country. Not because of their numbers are below 50% but because they are victims. Instead of women confessing their faults, they confess their man’s faults. There is an arrogance in women, and men are finding themselves walking on egg shells. Now stating this - I too am also at risk, of making myself out to be a victim - risking the loss of humility. I have been given far more than I deserve. God has blessed my life. I think it is important for men to act like men. They also need spiritual help in prayer - that their actions will be seen in their natural positive light.

Jerry said...

I agree with everything you've written. I will mention you in my feeble prayers, Tim, and ask for your prayers, too.